Food Day Friday: Rainbow Cupcakes!
SHUT UP! These were the most awesome cupcakes I’ve ever made, and they could quite possibly have been the best cupcakes ever. (Until I make the next batch, that is). I was inspired by this post at omnomicon to make a rainbow cake. But, I’m impatient and not great at frosting, and so figured that rainbow cupcakes (and mini-cupcakes) were more my style.
1. Choose a white cake recipe or mix. I used a Duncan Hines mix. It was easy, moist and yummy.
2. Make the batter and divide it evenly between 6 bowls.
3. Add food coloring. I used the Betty Crocker gel colors…nearly a whole tube for each color.
4. Mix it up good, and use plenty so you get great, vibrant colors!
5. Time to fill the cups. Drop about a teaspoonfull of each color into paper-lined cupcake pan.
6. Bake according to the directions or recipe, and allow to cool.
7. Frost. We didn’t do this step. I thought a DIY frosting and decorating experience would be fun for the party.
We also made:
These were a touch time-consuming, but oh so worth it. They’ve also inspired me to rethink my kitchen. After seeing these vibrant wee cakes, I absolutely want a colorful cooking space.
Want more? Check out the lovely write-up these babies got from Cupcakes Take the Cake!